TV apps for Android were first introduced in 2014, then slow but steady started to spread rapidly and maturely in the society. But it’s not enough just to purchase an Android TV device or own an Android TV, you’ll need to install the right apps to get the best from this platform.
Most Android TV apps come with Chromecast support so it can be used on most Android TV devices.
Here are several TV apps for Android that you need to know.
Price: $8.99 – $15.99 per month
This app is considered to be one of the cheapest video streaming services that you can find online. It supports 4K video and HDR 10. And also of course if your TV supports Dolby Vision then this app is your perfect choice.
If you want an immersive experience with a huge variety of TV shows, popular movies, and documentaries then you must have a Netflix Subscription!
Here are some advantages you can get from Netflix:
- It’s easy to use and also simple.
- There’s no commercials
- All the TV shows, documentaries and movies are original programs.
- The content can be downloaded and watch it offline
- Netflix offers different membership plans that you can chooses
- The subscription plans are all affordable
- Netflix offers fantastic experience
But there are also several disadvantages from Netflix, such as:
- The newest content isn’t available right away
- Netflix’s library considered to be outdated
- The content’s selection are depended on your location
Price: Free / $12.99 per month
This free version of the app already offers so much, you can watch a lot of videos shared by millions of people. Starting from technology, music, comedy, politics, and a whole lot more.
If you want to watch all the contents in the app free from the advertisement or want to download video for offline viewing, then you should get YouTube Premium. By only paying $12.99 per month you can do all of those.
There are several advantages you can get from YouTube, like:
- Free to watch and upload video
- YouTube Premium allows you to watch YouTube original series and movies, ad-free, plays video when offline.
- You can upload video to add an extra money, and also by sponsorships, merch and products, selling digital products, and also offers services.
- YouTube is easy to use.
- YouTube offers an easy way to share information, like video, comedy sketch, music, and video animation.
- By creating backlinks that can help boost your SEO.
But there are also several disadvantages that you should know.
- Once you upload content then it will be known by the public.
- There are many rules that need to be followed.
- Netflix can disable your account without any reason, like the content is in breach of the terms of service and community guidelines, you act in predatory behavior towards other people, and the contents are repeatedly reported for claims of copyright, the content are copied from someone else’s content idea.
- Advertisers can put ads on your video.
Price: Free / $9.99 per month
This app is also known as the Android TV apps with a rock solid music streaming service, podcast and even video content.
The advantages of Spotify are:
- There’s no more shuffle mode
- You have unlimited skips
- Offers 320 Kbps quality streaming
- You can listen to music offline by downloading an album, playlist, or podcast.
- Don’t have to wait long for new releases
- Together with Hulu, offers a combo subscription deal at $12.99 per month. If you are a student, it only costs $4.99 per month. But Hulu is only available in the USA and Japan.
Price: Free trial / $7.99 – $39.99 per month
This Android TV app has a decent video streaming service with tons of shows to watch. If you want several live TV channels, then subscribe to this app and pay $39.99 per month.
These are advantages if Hulu:
- You can watch your favorite TV show’s recent episodes
- Offers Hulu Live TV with 50+ live and on-demand channels.
- Offers different plans you can choose.
- All the content is original.
But there also several disadvantages, like:
- You can’t watch the content offline.
- The selection of movies is not so great.
- If you want ad-free experience, you have to pay more.
- Only available in Japan and the USA.
App that gathers many best games console emulators, where you can download the emulator file as cores within it. You will have the best available emulation experience for SNES, NES, N64, PS1, and many others.
You can boost in-game resolutions and graphics beyond their original consoles can do.
Price: Free / $4.99 per month / $39.99 per year
It is considered as one of the first and best Android TV apps with the main purpose to play video, music, photo and others from your phone or computer to your TV. You can also stream from Dropbox, OneDrive, and Google Drive.
Amazon Prime Video
Price: Free / $12.99 per month / $119.99 per year
This Android app doesn’t support Chromecast, but there are a lot of benefits from this app, such as:
- Streaming benefits:
- Unlimited streaming prime video, like TV episodes and movies for the USA and Puerto Rico.
- You can watch favorite movies and shows from amazon channels, like SHOWTIME, STARZ, and HBO channels.
- Unlimited, ad-free access to hundreds of prime music and two million songs for USA and Puerto Rico.
- Prime members are offered discounted Amazon Music Unlimited monthly plans.
- Twitch TV users who linked their Amazon Prime account will get a free Twitch channel subscription monthly.
- Other benefits are:
- Membership sharing where two adults that live in the same household can share certain Amazon Prime benefits.
- Amazon Photos where you can secure unlimited photos on Amazon Drive.
Google Play Music
Price: Free / $9.99 – $14.99 per month
You can upload 50.000 songs to the cloud and access them anywhere. That way you can listen to your locally stored music on your TV. If you subscribe to $12.99 per month, here are the benefits you can play on-demand music, and get ad-free experience.
The benefits of this app are:
- You can stream music from its online library, purchase music from its store, and upload your own music to Google’s server as part of your collections.
- Offers over 30 million songs on-demand streaming library.
- Only pay $1 per song or $10 per album on average.
- Upload up to 50.000 songs with MP3, AAC, FLAC, Ogg, ALAC, and WMA format.
- Offers high quality audio consisting of 320 Kbps MP3s.
- Offers offline playback by downloading streamable songs to your device.
Since this app syncs up with your phone, then you can create bookmarks by using QR codes. It won’t feel like a web browser, but more like a media center based around surfing the internet.
Benefits you will get from Puffin TV are include:
- Rendering speed and page load that you won’t believe.
- You will get full web experience
- Video playback that is optimized
- This navigation design is intuitive.
- You can share pages from any devices to Puffin TV
But the advantages are the cloud servers can only access public web sites from the USA, and the data centers are also in the USA. Users outside the US can’t view local contents, like video of local interest.
Wake On Lan
This unique Android TV app allows you to access your computer, NAS storage or others from your Android TV device. You can relax, sit down, turn your computers remotely in one location from all across the world and watch it without extra work. And it also doesn’t need any onsite assistance.
This app is possible by sending magic packets from a client to a remote device that is able to. Locate specific computer you intend to wake using its network card’s MAC address or media access control address.
You only need to connect the remote device with a power source and internet via a network cable. So, the most modern PCs are able to keep their Ethernet card in an alert for arriving packets.
With more than 2.0+ billion connected devices, 40+ million sessions daily, over 200 million active users, and more than 500.000 satisfied customers, this app can be considered as a unique and also useful TV app for Android.
This app is included in one of the most popular media centers that are used to stream all kinds of media, such as TV shows, movies, music, documentaries, live TV, series, and others. Kodi is also essential to organize, stream, and manage offline media on your Android TV.
First this app was known as Xbox Media Player in 2002, then became Xbox Media Center in 2003 until 2004 when it became Kodi.
This app works across almost every major operating system and hundreds of devices. And can play AAc, Ogg, and also MP3 format for music. For video, it works with 3D, H.264, ISO, and also stream content from the internet. You can also add posters, trailers, video extras, fan art, and many others.
Besides those two, Kode also allows you to store your favorite TV shows and programming in the service, including show description, actors, posters and tags. You can also stream your pictures.
Kodi also allows you to stream and record live TV from its software, but you have to use many backend services that support this feature like MythTV, NextPVR, MediaPortal, and TVheadend.
That’s rounding up all the TV apps for Android articles, hopefully giving you some insight and also informative enough for you.