For you who like photography surely know a variety of camera apps for android. Without further explanation needed, this article will try to discuss pros and cons on those apps.
This camera app from Mark Harman is an open source and free camera app with lots of excellent features that make it one of the best camera apps for android. You can get it for free from your phone.
Pros of Open Camera
Here are several pros from Open Camera:
- Offers auto stabilization mode feature that make the photo still perfect even when your hands are shaking during the click.
- Offers the option of using the camera in scene or focus mode.
- Can manually adjust ISO, white balance, color effects, face detection, torch, and exposure compensation.
- Support HD videography, you can also take photos during video.
- Can add the location and date/time by using the geotagging feature, including compass direction (GPSImgDirectionRef, GPSImgDirection).
- Offers noise reduction and night mode for low light photography.
- Offers handy remote controls features that allow you take photos without touching your phone, timer with optional voice countdown, auto-repeat mode with configurable delay and take photos by making noise like whistle or say command cheese.
- Can configure the volume keys to be shutter buttons.
- Free optimized GUI for right or left-handed users.
- Can zoom by using single-touch control and multi-touch gesture.
- Can lock the orientation to landscape or portrait for video or photo.
- Support for Storage Access Framework.
- Can take selfies, also support screen flash.
- Support external microphones, Exposure Bracketing, HDR with auto-alignment and ghost removal.
- Offers dynamic range optimization mode.
- No ads or commercials in the app.
Cons of Open Camera
Here are several cons from Open Camera:
- Some features may not be available on several software or hardware of the devices.
- When the microphone is used, the app has an issue of slowing down.
Google Camera Port
Picture taking ability of Google Pixel is spectacular, and made Google Camera Port become one of the best developments in Android. You can get it for free from your phone if you have Google Pixel or Nexus.
Pros of Google Camera Port
Here are several pros from Google Camera Port:
- Can make the camera shine by using HDR+ and portrait mode features.
- Offers specific features such as Pixel, like Front HDR+ and Rear, Lens Blur, PhotoSphere, Panorama, and Google Lens.
- Can activate or deactivate HDR with one swipe of the tumb.
- Can create 360 degree panoramic photos easily, move around within the world you have created, and create your own Google Maps street view and share it with other Map users by using PhotoSphere.
- Offers SLR such as a function to create images with limited areas of focus or shallow depth of field by using Lens Blur that will blur the background.
- Easy to install and use, and also simple clean interface.
- Can be customized.
- Can switch between modes easily.
Cons of Google Camera Port
Here are several cons from Google Camera Port:
- Only applicable on Android 4.4+ or KitKat.
- Offers limited device support, only available for Google Pixel and Nexus.
- The PhotoSphere feature doesn’t work on all CPUs.
- Offers cluttered interface.
- Most Google Camera ports are not perfect.
A Better Camera
This camera apps for android offers some excellent features that attempt to emulate a DSLR-like experience by giving plenty of options and controls. You can get it for free with in-apps purchase. A Better Camera is produced by Almalence and compatible with Android 4.3 and up.
Pros of A Better Camera
Here are several pros from A Better Camera:
- Offers a wide variety of modes like night mode or burst mode to object removal.
- Offers HDR mode for videos and pictures.
- No need to use manual control.
- Can choose a plenty selection of settings like panorama, ISO, white balance, and multi-shot.
- Offers a clean interface with frosted icons, that way the focus on screen is always on whatever your camera is pointing at.
- Can gain access to settings or get them out of the way for clearer shots by using a variety of gestures and swipes.
- Offers a clean UI that is easy to use.
- Offers videography with time-lapse, white balance lock, focus lock, and exposure lock.
- Suits for professional photographers.
Cons of A Better Camera
Here are several cons from A Better Camera:
- Some features may not work on all versions of android.
- Bugs reported when installing editor software.
- The app’s image processing is too slow.
Developed by FGAE, this camera apps for android offers two versions, free Lite version and premium version that cost $.3.95.
Pros of Camera FV-5
Here are several pros from Camera FV-5:
- Can adjust ISO, focal length, exposure, focus, white balance and shutter speed.
- Can shoot photos in lossless PNG, JPEG, and RAW.
- Can show live RGB histogram for your photos by using an advanced electronic viewfinder.
- Can capture stunning time-lapse videos.
- Interface available in 30 languages.
- Suits for professional photographers.
Cons of Camera FV-5
Here are several cons from Camera FV-5:
- Hard to control for amateur photographers.
- Doesn’t have regular updates.
- Doesn’t offer responsive support for its users.
This Magix Software Inc. distributed app is considered as a relatively old app but with consistent updates. You can get it for free from your phone with in-app purchases and has been downloaded by more than 10 million users worldwide..
Pros of Camera MX
Here are several pros from Camera MX:
- Easy to use for amateur photographers.
- The interface is user friendly.
- Can make GIFs.
- Offers built-in photo editors.
- Can apply effects such as color splash while recording video.
- Simple and intuitive user interface.
- Offers HDR mode for photos.
- Offers 4K resolution for videos.
- Offers time lapse options for recording clips.
- Offers shot the past feature that help you bring out the best moment to save the photos even after it’s taken.
- Can take sharp photos.
Cons of Camera MX
Here are several cons from Camera MX:
- Lags on saving multiple files.
- Have to pay for most of the features.
- The sharpness tool can be noisy.
- Some extra can only be accessed when you log in to Facebook.
- Lacks some features that are present in DSLR cameras.
DSLR Camera Pro
These camera apps for android are developed by Geeky Devs Studio and cost $2.99.
Pros of DSLR Camera Pro
Here are several pros from DSLR Camera Pro:
- Offers manual controls for ISO, white balance, and exposure.
- Offers RGB histogram.
- Offers two-stage shutter tap that mimics the physical two-stage shutter button on a real camera.
- Offers quicker start times.
- Offers clearer and more detailed photos due to larger sensor sizes..
- Offers high speed shooting mode.
- Offers low noise
- Offers faster auto focusing and minimal shutter delays.
- Offers a variety of choices of lenses, filters, and flashes.
- Can take photos well in low light and have high resolution.
Cons of DSLR Camera Pro
Here are several cons from DSLR Camera Pro:
- Can be heavier than other camera apps and also bulky.
- Can distract and ruin a shot because it tends to be louder than other apps due to their moving parts.
- Video capability tends to be lacking compared to other apps.
- Video quality is lower than other apps due to the contrast-detection focus.
- No high quality audio input or xlr.
- Can’t gain controls by manual audio without patches or hacks.
- Low quality of built-in microphone.
This element pressed camera apps for android offers two versions, free version and premium version that are more suitable for professional photographers. This app is developed by Semaphore Inc.
Pros of Footej Camera
Here are several pros from Footej Camera:
- Offers ISO control, burst mode, focus settings, slow motion recording, Camera 2 API, panorama mode, shutter speed control, and many more.
- Can reduce the interval of burst mode and make histogram of the image. (premium subscriber only)
- Can record, revisit and share photos.
- Offers high focus and enhanced image and video quality.
- Easy to install and use.
- Offers slow motion video recording.
- Can take photos during recording video.
- Offers enhanced JPEG quality even if you transfer them into PC or laptop..
- Can find and send animated GIFs to your friends.
- Offers enhanced focus that allows you to take better and clearer photos.
- Offers 5-minutes video duration.
- Can limit ads or commercials.
- Support RAW format.
- Bloat-free and simple user interface.
- Offers slider and integrated gallery.
- Support time-lapse and slow motion mode in videography.
Cons of Footej Camera
Here are several cons from Footej Camera:
- Limited features on free version.
- Can make the phone hang.
- May cause a burden on applications.
- Limitation on zoom option.
- Video’s quality is not quite good.
Manual Camera is the first camera apps for android to take advantage of the Camera2 API. Developed by Geeky Devs Studio, this app cost $2.99.
Pros of Manual Camera
Here are several pros from Manual Camera:
- Offers manual controls for exposure, slow motion video, geotagging, shutter speed, focus, ISO, white balance, and many more.
- Offers RAW format.
- Quality of photos taken is excellent.
- Very low on crash frequency.
Cons of Manual Camera
Here are several cons from Manual Camera:
- There are a lot of bugs in the app.
- Doesn’t offer a free version.
- Offers a low processing speed in video.
That’s the end of the discussion about camera apps for android. You can choose which app suits you more in order to create the best quality of photos and videos.